22.4 C
New York
Sunday, July 5, 2020

Gov. Andrew Cuomo says Mets and Yankees are now planning to have spring training in New Yo

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo confirmed on Saturday that the Mets and Yankees are now planning on holding spring training in New York if/when the 2020 MLB season is announced. "We're all hopeful that Major League Baseball will start their season, …
Continue reading on SNY.tv

By Alex Smith |
Jun 20 | 3:02PM

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo confirmed on Saturday that the Mets and Yankees are now planning on holding spring training in New York if/when the 2020 MLB season is announced.

“We’re all hopeful that Major League Baseball will start their season, or part of a season. They’re in conversation now and we’re expecting updates this week,” said Gov. Cuomo. “They are planning to have their spring training camp in NY.”

The Yankees confirmed via a team staement that they will hold spring training in New York.

Statement from the New York Yankees: pic.twitter.com/NAsXIM2LoD

– New York Yankees (@Yankees) June 20, 2020

As coronavirus numbers continue to see a substantial spike in Florida following the state’s reopening, there had been reports of both teams moving spring training 2.0 to New York, where the spread of the virus is currently much more under control.

The Mets had reopened their Port St. Lucie facility for individual and limited player workouts on June 2. On Friday night, though, MLB temporarily closed all spring training facilities in Florida and Arizona for deep cleaning, and players/staff will have to pass a COVID-19 test before they can re-enter. 

Many Mets players elected to stay in Florida during MLB’s hiatus, including Pete Alonso, Marcus Stroman, Dominic Smith, J.D. Davis, and Wilson Ramos, among others. Now, if/when spring training resumes, all players will need to make the trip back to New York.

Video: Health and safety should be the priority, not money


RELATED: Every Mets undrafted free agent signing >> Read More

RELATED: The latest on negotiations for 2020 MLB season >> Read More

RELATED: MLB temporarily closes spring sites in Florida and Arizona >> Read More

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Dozens of shootings across US mark bloody July 4th weekend

A spate of shootings throughout the US left more than 150 people wounded and nearly a dozen dead so far this weekend, including 67 gunshot victims in ...

Barca chief hints that VAR favours Real Madrid

"There have been many games when VAR has favoured the same [team] -- and many teams have been disadvantaged as a result," said Josep Maria Bartomeu.

‘I Lost Everything’: Illegal 4th Of July Fireworks Display Destroys 8 Northridge Apartment

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — An illegal fireworks display in Northridge Saturday resulted in an apartment building catching fire, destroying eight units.

Video shows hundreds gathering at popular Diamond Lake Sandbar

Videos circulating on social media show hundreds of people splashing around in close proximity at Diamond Lake Sandbar in Cass County.

Recent Comments

%d bloggers like this: